Blackhawk Pioneers are visually handicapped people living in the Beloit, South Beloit, Clinton and Janesville areas. This activity is sponsored by the Beloit Noon Lions assisted by Beloit Lioness and Beloit Evening, South Beloit and Janesville Noon Lions Clubs.
Regular monthly social meetings are held from September through May for visually handicapped persons in Rock County area. The meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. and are held at various locations around Rock County.
Members of the Janesville Noon Lions Club help transport the Blackhawk Pioneers members to and from their activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LION DRIVERS
- To drive on the assigned night, or locate a replacement.
- Call passengers at least one day prior to the event to introduce yourself and inform them when they can expect you to pick them up.
- Assist passengers from their home to your automobile and from your automobile to the meeting place. Introduce your passengers to each other. At the end of the evening , insure that your passengers get into their house.
- Assist passengers with removal and putting on of outer clothing. Be observant of what they are wearing and where it was hung to avoid mistakes.
A FEW TIPS
- A blind person prefers to hold your arm, and has better control of themselves when they do.
- Let them set the pace.
- Be alert to changes in the walking surface, and keep them informed of what is ahead.